What is BREEAM?
BREEAM (Building Research Establishment’s Environmental Assessment Method) is the world’s leading and most widely used environmental assessment method for buildings, with over 115,000 buildings certified and nearly 700,000 registered. It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and has become the de facto measure used to describe a building’s environmental performance. Credits are awarded in ten categories according to performance. These credits are then added together to produce a single overall score on a scale of Pass, Good, Very Good, Excellent and Outstanding. The operation of BREEAM is overseen by an independent Sustainability Board, representing a wide cross-section of construction industry stakeholders.
Aims Of BREEAM:
· To provide market recognition to low environmental impact buildings
· To ensure best environmental practice is incorporated in buildings
· To set criteria and standards surpassing those required by regulations and challenge the market to provide innovative solutions that minimise the environmental impact of buildings
· To raise the awareness of owners, occupants, designers and operators of the benefits of buildings with a reduced impact on the environment
· To allow organisations to demonstrate progress towards corporate environmental objectives
Objectives Of Breeam:
· To mitigate the impacts of buildings on the environment
· To enable buildings to be recognised according to their environmental benefits
· To provide a credible, environmental label for buildings
· To stimulate demand for sustainable buildings
A BREEAM assessment uses recognised measures of performance, which are set against established benchmarks, to evaluate a building’s specification, design, construction and use. The measures used represent a broad range of categories and criteria from energy to ecology. They include aspects related to energy and water use, the internal environment (health and well-being), pollution, transport, materials, waste, ecology and management processes.
In regards to Sustainable design and management we are able to support the development of key strategies outside a BREEAM assessment in relation to;
Breeam-Assessment.co.uk are professional energy assessors and building services consulting engineers based in London , providing independent professional expertise in mechanical engineering for buildings and strategic energy advice. We are designers and specifiers of heating-cooling systems, and pride ourselves in finding innovative cost-effective and energy efficient solutions for new and existing buildings. We have experience in a wide range of building types in both commercial and domestic sectors. As registered Low Carbon Assessors, we are able to provide: • EPC Certificates (Energy Performance Certificates and Reports) for Domestic and Commercial properties. • TM44 Air Conditioning Inspection Reports (ACI) • SAP Calculations and Predicted Energy Assessment for New built dwellings (SAP-EPC) • Display Energy Certificates for Public buildings (DEC) • SBEM Calculation for Commercial Buildings (EPC-SBEM/Part L) • Code for sustainable Homes (Code Assessment) • Breeam Assessment.